Effective Date: 09/13/2019
Information We Collect
When you use the Website, we may collect personal information about you, such as your name, address, Social Security number, telephone number, email address, asset information, income information, or any other information that you submit on applications or other forms made available through the Website. We collect this information when you request a rate quote, begin an application, or make an inquiry.
We may also collect personal information about you from third party sources, which we may combine with information that you provided to us or we previously collected. For example, we may receive information from a social media service about you if you use a social media account to log into the Website.
We also automatically collect certain information related to you and your activities on the Website when you visit the Website. This information includes information such as your IP address, your internet browser and operating system type, the date and time of your visit, and the website that referred you to us.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Our first-party cookies and tracking technologies do not track users over time and across third-party websites, and therefore the Website does not respond to web browser do-not-track signals.
We also use third-party cookies to serve targeted advertisements on both the Website and on third-party websites. These cookies may track users over time and across third-party websites and services. Please note that if you opt-out of advertising cookies, you may still see our advertisements on third-party websites and services.
How We Use Collected Information
We use personal information and anonymous information for the following purposes:
- To complete and fulfill your loan application;
- To respond to and fulfill your requests;
- For our marketing efforts, such as to send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you;
- For our business purposes, such as for analysis and to develop new products and services;
- To improve the Website and for analytics purposes; or
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
The Fair Credit Reporting Act gives you the opportunity to limit the sharing of “non-experience information” among our affiliates. “Non-experience information” includes information that is used, expected to be used, or collected for the purpose of establishing your eligibility for consumer credit, insurance or deposit accounts, and is not related solely to your transactions or other experiences with us, including information:
- From your applications, such as your income or marital status
- From a credit report, such as your credit history
- From sources used to verify representations made by you, such as your open lines of credit or employment history
Within our family of companies, we may share the customer information we collect with:
- Our affiliated businesses, providing financial and other services such as:
- Insurance and real estate brokerage
- Home security products
- Residential homebuilding
How We Share Personal Information
- Such as vendors who provide employment verification, degree verification, title, document import, or other necessary services;
- Such as our Better Mortgage Corporation affiliated businesses that provide quality services or products you may be interested in;
- For any purpose to which you expressly consent;
- To protect our rights or the rights or safety of others; and
- As may be required by law or regulation.
For example, after you authorize us to verify your credit history, we send the minimal set of information needed (potentially including your social security number) to ensure we are requesting the correct record in an encrypted form to the relevant credit bureaus with the sole purpose of retrieving your credit report and associated credit history data. We would not send the same level of information to a service provider where it is not essential to perform their services.
For retrieving bank information (transactions, accounts, and other information), we use Plaid and AccountChek by FormFree as third-party service providers. Their respective privacy policies are available here: Plaid and AccountChek.
In the event that we enter into a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings), personal information that we have collected may be transferred in the course of that corporate transaction to the relevant third party purchaser, joint venture partner, merged entity, assignee or similar party.
How We Protect Personal Information
Better Mortgage uses reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security measures to protect personal information we collect from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, or improper disclosure. For example, we use encryption technologies when transmitting information to and from the Website and with our third-party service providers. Please understand that no security technology is completely secure, and remember that when communicating with Better Mortgage, email is not a secure form of communication when transmitting sensitive or personal information.
Links to Other Websites
This Website is not intended for persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information to us through the Website, we will immediately delete such information.
Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt-out of any future marketing contacts from us at any time. You can do the following by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any;
- Change/correct any data we have about you;
- Delete any information about you that we are not required by law to keep; and
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.